Improving Business Environment in Vietnam: Credit Risk Management for Trade and Investment in Vietnam
Improving national corporate database for Vietnam and credit information has been implemented one of the six national database initiatives toward e-Government in Vietnam
Vietnam is one of the most open economies in the World with import-export turnover at approximately US$405 billion or 187% of GDP in 2017 and the trade flows contribute significantly to the economic growth. However, Vietnam ranked 68 over 190 nations and territories in “the ease of doing business in Vietnam” a survey by The World Bank in 2017.
The low ranking is explained by many factors including the low level of information transparency, lack of financial corporate data, low coverage of credit rating and related protection products such as credit risk insurance
Measures have been taken to address this situation:
- Vietnam National Business Registration Database has been included as one of the six National Database Initiatives under the development of e-Government for Vietnam following Decision 714/QD-TTg dated 22 May 2015. Following this regulation, Ministry of Planning and Investment is the coordinating agency to develop and consolidate the business registration database from all 63 provinces for more than 1 million enterprises. The consolidated database has helped improve the administration of new business registration, corporate insolvency, and corporate financial health across industries and provinces in Vietnam.
- On the other hand, credit institutions in Vietnam are now preparing for better risk management standards in compliance with the Basel II, in which corporate database is a core element toward this standard. There are more than 40 thousand enterprises with credit information and financial data standardized by Credit Information Center. This will improve credit information products for credit institutions to better credit risk management yet easing the lending process of banks.
There is a need to further strengthen a shared information infrastructure to apply big data and modern technologies and transform operational model. This will help improve credit risk management and gain trust and confidence in doing business with Vietnamese counterparts
However, a number of issues have been raised by market participants including:
- How is the progress to consolidate a single source of financial information for Vietnamese companies? Because the data science and technology applications require a statistically large database not only by the organization itself but also the shared corporate database from relevant Government agencies and the data-contributing participants.
- How to assess credit risk of Vietnamese companies and the quality of financial statements of Vietnamese companies? What are the typical issues in financial reporting by Vietnamese companies
- What are the best practices to help commercial banks improve their credit risk management and comply with Basel II; as well as to help foreign investors gain confidence and build trust in doing business with its Vietnamese counterparts!
As such, the improvement of corporate and financial database for Vietnamese companies and application of most updated technologies is important for:
- Credit institutions, especially banks in Vietnam, to improve their credit risk management during their course of transforming the traditional corporate banking model; and
- Foreign investors to build trust and confidence with Vietnamese counterparts in investment consideration and commercial and trade ties as well.
This situation motivated us to organize this Conference. This will be a platform for dialog between market participants, investors, researchers and regulators to discuss such issues and provide a great reflection from market practice, international experience to the credit risk management practice in Vietnam and on how to gain trust and confidence in partnering with Vietnamese companies..
This Event is co-organized by StoxPlus and CIC with endorsement and support from Vietnamese Party Central Committee’s Economic Commission. The Event will be held as a specialized event in the 2018 Annual Economic Conference about Vietnam.
Main Speakers and VIP guests
Mr. Ngo Dong HaiAlternate Member of the
Vice Chairman of the Central
Party Economic Commission
Mr. Nguyen Kim AnhDeputy Governor of the
State Bank of Vietnam (SBV)
Mr. Nguyen Quang
Mr. Le Anh TuanManager of Research &
World Bank Vietnam
Mr. Nguyen Huu
State Bank of Vietnam (SBV)
Mr. Do Nhat HoangGeneral Director,
Foreign Investment Agency
Mr. Ong Tiong HooiPartner, Transaction Services,
Mr. Tomoyuki MiyagiExecutive Managing Director,
Financial Technology Research
Institute, Inc., a member of
Nikkei Inc. (Japan)
Mr. Bert KwanManaging Director at
Mr. Tamás TóthRisk Consultant Partner Asseco
Central Europe Magyrország
Mr. Béla SlániczCEO, Asseco Central Europe Hungary
Mr. Do Ngoc QuynhSecretary General,
Vietnam Bond Management
Association; Head of Treasury, BIDV
Ms. Tran Thi Hong
Agency of Business Registration, MPI
Mr. Nguyen Tu AnhDeputy Director General,
Monetary Policy Department,
State Bank of Vietnam
Mr. Nguyen Huu HieuCo-founder & Vice Chairman,
Open for Registration until January 5th, 2018 (Friday)
- Venue: Lotte Hanoi Hotel, 54 Lieu Giai Street, Ba Dinh, Hanoi
- Date: January 11th, 2018 (Thursday)
- Time: 13:00 to 17:30
- Improving the investment environment for Vietnam with Corporate Financial Transparency
- Enhancing credit information and technologies for credit institutions to improve risk management in Vietnam
- Enhancing corporate information to help foreign investors gain confidence in doing business in Vietnam
- Organizer: StoxPlus and Credit Information Centre (CIC) of the State Bank of Vietnam
- Endorsed by: Central Economic Commission (CEC) of the Communist Party of Vietnam
- Supporting Organizations: Nikkei, Inc.
Diamond sponsor: Asseco Central Europe Magyarország (Hungary) Zrt
Gold sponsor: Financial Technology Research Institute, Inc. (Japan)
- Media: Vietnamnews, Vietnam Investment Review and other economic news channels in Vietnam
- Participation: Banks, Finance Companies, Insurance Companies, FDI and foreign trading companies. Approx. 200 - 250 people
- There will be approximately 200 - 250 participants from local financial institutions and FDI companies operating in Vietnam attending this Event.
Foreign companies C-level
- Corporate leaders of FDI and trading houses
- Financial institutions: (i) insurance companies; (ii) commercial banks; (iii) investment funds; (iv) investment companies;
- Audit and consulting companies
- Commercial banks
- Insurance companies
- Investment funds and asset managers
- Audit and consulting companies
Their areas of practice
- Credit Risk Management
- Finance and Accounting
- Credit Appraisal/Evaluation
- Business Development
Vietnam Economic Forum (Agenda)
|Day 1: January 11, 2018|
|8:00 - 8:30||
Keynote session: Vietnam Economy 2017 in review and prospects for 2018
|13:30 - 17:00||
Workshop 1: Green Energy, Green Technology and Economic
Workshop 2: Credit Risk Management for Trade and Investment in Vietnam
Workshop 3: Productivity in the context of industrialization
|Day 2: January 12, 2018|
|09:00 - 11:30||
Policy Dialogue: Vietnam Sustainable Economic Growth
Selected Events Organised by StoxPlus
StoxPlus has many experiences organizing Executve Events in Financial sectors in Vietnam
StoxPlus hosted the “International Conference on Vietnam Consumer Finance”, supported by IFC and the State Bank of Vietnam on October 19th, 2017. We welcomed 150 guests from finance companies, commercial banks, foreign banks, investors from funds and asset management firms, researchers, and regulators.
StoxPlus organized the International Business Forum “Vietnam – Global Opportunities for Sustainable Local Development” held by the International Investment Bank (IIB) and the State Bank of Vietnam (SBV), which represents the country in the IIB Council on 7th December 2017
HOSE and StoxPlus organized “Vietnam Stock Market: On the Way to Emerging Markets” Conference 2016. About 250 participants including representatives from investment and financial institutions from Vietnam, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Thailand, Malaysia, US and EU attending this conference
StoxPlus arranged the “Executive Breakfast on Vietnam Consumer Finance Market 2016” on June 2, 2016.
StoxPlus and Singapore Business Group organized M&A Conference, HCMC, Jul 2017