INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE Vietnam Renewable Energy: Challenges and Practical Solutions
In September 2017, the MoIT issued Circular No. 16/2017/TT-BCT on the detailed mechanism for encouraging the development of solar power projects in Vietnam, which includes a final template Power Purchase Agreement (“PPA”) and the FiT rate of USD9.35 cents per kWh. In the meanwhile, the Vietnamese government is currently reviewing the FiT rate of USD7.8 cents per kWh in order to further incentivize the development of wind power projects and push forward the country’s 800 MW wind energy target by 2020. It is safe to say that among all the Asian countries, Vietnam now receives the most attention in the field of renewable energy.
According to the policy of Vietnamese government, grid-connected solar projects are required to reach COD (commercial operation date) before 30 June 2019 to get the FiT, which means solar developers and investors really need to act fast on selecting their partners and projects to leave sufficient time for signing the PPA, closing the financing and completing the construction.
Despite the high FiT and investment incentives, out of 24 GW of renewables’ registered capacity in our database, only 19% made it to construction stage and 8% are in operations. Meanwhile, the majority of renewable energy projects in Vietnam are still at the pre-investment stage due to many issues arising from approval, financing, PPA to implementation. RE developers encountered many challenges in getting the project to the Operations phase, including the questionable bankability of the PPA, the lack of credit rating of the off-taker, and the operational risks that the project faces.
Lack of comprehensive information is one of the greatest challenge for investors and developers to maneuver RE opportunities. Even though information about RE projects in Vietnam has been floating around the market, there is no clear information on number of projects, development status, etc. creating confusion and uncertainty for investors, developers, and other stakeholders.
Why we organize this event?
As a leading market research & business information corporation in Vietnam, with experience in supporting RE project implementation, StoxPlus, in collaboration with Eurocham Vietnam, is organising this conference “Vietnam Renewable Energy: Challenges and Practical Solutions” on 23rd August 2018 in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. The seminar not only provides the platform to share market insights, project implementation, key issues and risks from perspective of project development, financing, M&A and equity investments.
In organising this event, StoxPlus and EuroCham are proud to have the support from IFC (member of the World Bank Group), Auscham, Cancham, Hongkong Business Association Vietnam, Incham, Kocham, Singapore Business Group HCMC and Thailand Business Association.
Main Speakers and VIP guests
Mr. Nguyen Ninh HaiDeputy Director of New& Rene
wable Energy Department
Electricity & Renewable Energy
Mr. Le Xuan Dong, CFADirector
Business Information Services,
Mr. Oliver BehrendPrincipal Investment Officer
IFC - International Finance
Mr. Pham Minh TuanDeputy General Director
Chief Operating Officer
Bamboo Capital Group (BCG)
Mr. Dang Duong AnhManaging Partner
Ms. Vu My DungSenior Market Analyst
This event is open for registration until 10am Monday, 20th August 2018
- Venue: Diamond A, Sofitel Saigon Plaza, 17 Le Duan Boulevard, District 1, HCMC, Vietnam
- Date: Thursday, August 23rd, 2018
- Time: 14:00 – 17:10
- Theme: Accessing the sector landscape and its future growth potential
- Organizer: StoxPlus & Eurocham Vietnam
- Other Supporting Commerce Chambers/ Associations: World Bank, ADB, IFC, Amcham, Kocham, JBAV, Incham, HKBAV, SBG, VCCI, etc.
- Reviewing the licensed projects and implementation
Discussing key groups of issues in a RE project
- Licensing issues
- Financing issues
- Pre-operation issues
- PPA terms and issues
- Technology selection and investment cost
- Discussing key risks to a financing firm in a RE Project
- Discussing M&A and foreign participation in a RE project
- Media Partners: Vietnam Investment Review, Vietnamnews, Vietnam Economic Times, VNExpress
- Participants: Representatives from Department of Energy (Ministry of Industry and Trade - MOIT), Renewable Energy developers, Banking executives and banking strategy/ planning executives, Engineering, Procurement and Construction contractor, Institutional investors, Law firms.
- For StoxPlus’s customers & Eurocham’s members: 700,000 VND/per participant
- For Non-customers & Non-members: 1,000,000 VND/per participant
- Language: English only
- Registration: Please email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (84-28) 3827 2715 - Ext 126
- There will be approximately 100 participants from local financial institutions and FDI companies operating in Vietnam attending this Event.
Foreign organizations/companies C-level
- WB, ADB, IFC …
- Corporate leaders of FDI and trading houses
- Institutional investors
- Financial institutions (commercial banks, investment funds, investment companies)
Vietnamese Companies C-level
- Banking executives and banking strategy/ planning executives
- Engineering, Procurement and Construction Contractors
- Renewable Energy Developers
- Law Firms
Selected Events Organised by StoxPlus
StoxPlus has many experiences organizing Executve Events in Financial sectors in Vietnam
On 11 January 2018, StoxPlus and the National Credit Information Center of Vietnam (CIC) co-organize a conference on "Credit Risk Management for Trade and Investment in Vietnam" at Lotte Hanoi Hotel in Hanoi. Participating at the conference included Deputy Head of the Central Economic Commission, Mr. Ngo Dong Hai and Deputy Governor of the State Bank of Vietnam, Mr. Nguyen Kim Anh and more than 200 delegates.
StoxPlus organized the International Business Forum “Vietnam – Global Opportunities for Sustainable Local Development” held by the International Investment Bank (IIB) and the State Bank of Vietnam (SBV), which represents the country in the IIB Council on 7th December 2017
HOSE and StoxPlus organized “Vietnam Stock Market: On the Way to Emerging Markets” Conference 2016. About 250 participants including representatives from investment and financial institutions from Vietnam, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Thailand, Malaysia, US and EU attending this conference
StoxPlus arranged the “Executive Breakfast on Vietnam Consumer Finance Market 2016” on June 2, 2016.
StoxPlus and Singapore Business Group organized M&A Conference, HCMC, Jul 2017